Friday, September 17, 2010

Preparing for a Concert: Programming, Part I

People have asked me: "Just what is involved in preparing for an Orchestra Kentucky concert?" This is a question that requires a multi-part answer because there are so many facets to our organization. So, over the next several days, I will try to cover the process from A to Z.

The process begins in the fall with program planning for the following season. In fact, a few weeks ago, I finalized the programs for the 2011-2012 season. That's right. I set out the programs an entire year in advance. You might ask, "Why is that necessary?"

There are several reasons for planning so far in advance. One reason is the logistics. We must choose the concert dates so that the concert venue(s) may be reserved and rented. If we waited, we would be stuck with the least desirable dates for our concerts.

Another reason is artistic. We must purchase or rent the music to be performed. Often times we save money by purchasing music in advance, when companies run specials. Music that cannot be purchased must be rented. Rental agreements must be signed and the music reserved for our performance. If we waited too long, the music might not be available. I remember adding Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue to a program late in the process. I called the rental agency, only to be told that there were no copies available for rental. Oh no! I would have to change my program. Fortunately, they worked it out so that they would receive music back earlier than anticipated from another orchestra, enabling us to receive the music in time for our preparations.

In addition to purchasing or renting music, guest artists must be retained. The bigger the name, the more likely they are scheduling concerts early. Most artists we work with, schedule about one year out.

Also, we must start to determine how many of each instrument will be needed for a concert so that we may start to create a season budget. The instruments needed are determined by the music programmed. For example, The Planets required a very large and, consequently, expensive orchestra.

Finally, we begin early because we must obtain concert sponsors. It is difficult to ask a sponsor to sign on to a concert if they don't know what we will be playing.

Monday, I will discuss how I choose music--the fun part of my job!

No comments: