Monday, September 27, 2010

Orchestra visits and our upcoming concert

Saturday night I had the pleasure of attending a concert of the Owensboro Symphony. They performed Verdi's La Forza del Destino, Ravel's G major piano concerto, and the Enigma Variations of Elgar. They did an excellent job.

Tonight, I travel to Danville, Kentucky to hear the Vienna Philharmonic. I could buy two subscriptions to Orchestra Kentucky for what I had to pay to attend this concert. But I figure it's worth it. After all, how often does such a great orchestra come to Kentucky? This is the orchestra that premiered works by Brahms, and many other iconic composers. I wouldn't miss it for anything. Tomorrow, I will let you know what I thought.

Starting Wednesday, I will begin an extensive discussion of the music Orchestra Kentucky will perform at its October 25th concert, You Be the Judge! This is the concert where the audience will vote on what the orchestra plays. In other words, the orchestra will prepare two complete programs. The audience will decide, at the concert, if we play the first movement of Beethoven's 5th symphony or the first movement to Schubert's Unfinished Symphony. They will decide if they want to hear a medley of Duke Ellington songs, or songs recorded by Frank Sinatra. And, so on, and so forth.

So that you, the voters, are prepared to excercise your "consitutional" rights in an informed way, over the next few weeks, I will take each of the choices, give some background information, and provide a link to a YouTube recording, so that you may listen to the works discussed. I would love for you to weigh in by posting your comments about the pieces discussed.

This is going to be A LOT of fun!

No comments: