Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Beam me up, Scotty!

As I write this blog, I am preparing for our regular season concert opener, entitled The Final Frontier. As you can probably guess, we will be doing space-inspired music. It got me to thinking about how many composers have been inspired by space through the years.

Look at the moon, for example. We have It's Only a Paper Moon, Moon River, By the Light of the Silvery Moon, Fly Me to the Moon, and Dark Side of the Moon--and that's what I could think of in 30 seconds!

Or how about stars? We have Stardust, When You Wish Upon a Star, and Star Wars. Planets? Earth Angel, Mozart's Jupiter symphony, Holst's The Planets, and the Beatles' Sun King. (Okay, I know. That's technically a star.)

I guess this brings new meaning to the idea of one having one's head in the clouds.

1 comment:

Going Like Sixty said...

Obviously you don't have enough to keep you busy. :-)
Here's a quiz that should take you, oh, about ten seconds.
http://mentalfloss.com/quiz/quiz.php?q=104