Sunday, December 12, 2010

A Magical Nutcracker

As many of you know, I had the privilege of conducting selections from Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker a few weeks ago. The concert primarily featured the Divertissement (in ballet, that's a suite of short dances) from Act II. The dancers were members of the Louisville Ballet. Unfortunately, I had the worst seat in the house. I conducted on stage, with my back to the dancers.
After the concert, I heard many fabulous comments about the high quality of the dancing (and the orchestra, too!).  With my curiosity piqued, I had to see what all the fuss was about. The answer came yesterday afternoon.

My family, Darrell Edwards (Orchestra Kentucky's executive director) and I attended the full production of the ballet at the Kentucky Center for the Arts in Louisville. The only way to describe it is, it was magical: both figuratively and literally!

I have always been a sucker for magic, but I never expected to encounter it in a Nutcracker production. In yesterday's performance, the audience was treated to, amongst other things, a levitating dancer in the Arabian Dance; regular-sized Nutcrackers transformed into life-sized equivalents; and a special effect at the very end of the ballet (I won't divulge it, lest I ruin it for everyone). One of the most "magical" moments was at the end of Act I, where Marie and the Nutcracker begin their journey to the Land of the Sugar Plum Fairy in the midst of a snowstorm (known as the Journey through the Land of the Snow in Tchaikovsky's score). As the snow on stage fell harder, snow began to fall on the audience. Imagine the delight of the audience--especially the children! It wasn't just a cheap special effect. It brought the audience into the action on stage. In fact, it brought tears to my eyes. Not only because of the magic, but also because of the beautiful choreography (courtesy of the famous Val Caniparoli). As the snow fell, the dancers (representing Snowflakes) gradually "fell" to the stage in one of many breathtaking moments that afternoon.

Reading the program, I learned that the Louisville Ballet's Artistic Director, Bruce Simpson, believes that The Nutcracker has been popular in the US for so long because it is magical.  I couldn't agree more. Tchaikovsky's score is magical. It's full of great tunes and gorgeous orchestrations that work together for maximum emotional impact.  In fact, it's the reason I first began to love orchestral music. The story is magical: a little girl's journey to other make-believe lands. As alluded to, the choreography was magical. The sets and costumes were magical (courtesy of famous designer, Peter Cazalet). And, the illusions I've discussed were magically awe inspiring. None of this, however, would have come to life without the Louisville Ballet. the quality of dancing would rival that of much larger cities.

Congratulations to Bruce Simpson and everyone associated with the Louisville Ballet. Bravo! If you have a chance, do yourself a favor and see this production. It will bring a new sense of magic to your holiday season.

I would be remiss if I did not mention that today's Nutcracker will be the last in which the music is performed live by the Louisville Orchestra. Filing Chapter 11 bankruptcy this month, the musicians will not be paid after this week. What a travesty. Not only will the ballet be affected, but also the Kentucky Opera, and so many other arts groups in the region.

Someone asked me how this could happen. There are a lot of reasons, but one thing I've noticed is a certain complacency with the arts in some parts of America. People take their artists for granted. "Someone else will sponsor the concert. Someone else will buy tickets to the ballet. Someone else will make a donation." I just hope that Louisvillians and Kentuckians wake up before it's too late. Will your Nutcracker be the same without a live, professional orchestra? How about your Carmen? Will your church services at Easter be as special without the professional musicians of the Louisville Orchestra participating in them? I can tell you the answer: No, no, no! Great musicians don't do it part time. It is their livelihood. If the orchestra fails, the musicians we have all come to rely on will move on to take jobs elsewhere. In the process, Louisville will become just another mid-sized city. And, part of what makes the city magical will be lost, too. It will be a sad day. But it's not too late. Support the arts. Make them a priority in your life.

No comments: