Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Do you suffer from EOS?

A recent e-zine from the American Symphony Orchestra League piqued my interest:

In Sunday’s San Diego Union-Tribune, Valerie Scher comments on what she calls “Excessive Ovation Syndrome (EOS for short),” writing: “Those suffering from it stand and applaud at performances that aren't good enough to deserve such enthusiasm. In extreme cases, they shout ‘Bravo!’ during events that are best forgotten. The more people pay for tickets, the more susceptible they are to EOS, because ovations confirm that their money was well spent. Even those in bargain seats can easily catch it from their neighbors. The urge to stand and cheer may be irresistible if everyone around you is doing it.” Scher adds: “On rare occasions -- the operative word here is ‘rare’ -- ovations are entirely appropriate ... As concertgoers, we must ask ourselves: Is this performance so exceptional that it merits a special response? Is this truly an event in which mere applause isn't enough? ... The danger is that ovations will become so routine that they'll hardly mean anything at all.”

I have to admit that I have often witnessed this awful disease. Without naming names, on several occasions I have attended concerts that were more deserving of "boos" and rotten tomatoes, let alone "hurrahs" and standing ovations. However, I disagree with Ms Scher's analysis. At the risk of sounding elitist, I believe that it is sheer ignorance and peer pressure that account for most standing ovations. What do I mean?

First, let me say that I am not talking about the situation where an entire audience simultaneously leaps to its collective feet to cheer a performance. No, I'm talking about the concerts were one or two patrons, usually near the front row, stand up and applaud. In my opinion, these types of people don't do it to make themselves feel better about spending a lot of money for tickets. Instead, I believe they stand out of pride for the ensemble or pure ignorance. Sometimes I think that some orchestras could sound worse than an elementary-level string group and still receive an ovation from some people. Let's face it, these people just don't know any better. For those who DO know better, I think it's akin to standing ovations that occur after a local football team loses the big game. The cheering is meant to be encouraging, sort of a "keep your chin up" kind of thing. That accounts for the instigators of the ovation, but why do others around them stand? Is it, as Ms Scher suggests, because it is "irresistible"?

I have to admit that I usually join in after the instigators begin the "wave". Why do I do it? It's not because it is "irresistible" as Ms Scher suggests. No. I do it because I don't want people to think I'm not a team player. It would sort of be like sitting down at the football game when everyone else is standing. I wouldn't want them to think that I was a traitor. So, knowing better, I will continue to stand.

What do you think?

2 comments:

Karl Fogel said...

A high-school English teacher of mine had the interesting idea of combatting ovation inflation by limiting himself to 10 standing ovations for the rest of his life. Every time he was tempted to stand up after a performance, he had to ask himself "Was this so good that it's worth using up one of my few remaining ovations?"

I have no idea if he kept to it or not. 10 is probably too low, anyway, especially since one's lifespan and future concertgoing activity cannot be predicted. But I did like the idea: if everyone treated ovations that way, they'd mean a lot more.

(Mr. Reichert from Oak Park River Forest High School in the mid-1980's, if you're out there, your ovation policy has not been forgotten!)

Going Like Sixty said...

Good post.

Sure, peer pressure causes EOS.

I have remained seated while others are standing and there have been times, seated in the nosebleed seats, that I have been the first on my feet.
I haven't attended a performance in ages where a standing ovation didn't occur. So yes, ovations are routine.

A little off topic, but I don't like it when people stand during the playing of American the Beautiful or God Bless the USA. Neither is our national anthem.